Notification escalate too fast if no one notified

Shad L. Lords lists at lordsfam.net
Wed Aug 11 08:33:44 CEST 2004

> The submitted patch had some negative side effects, but it did point
> out a closely related bug: the current notification number should not
> be incremented if no contacts were notified.  I'll get that patched
> tonight.  The original thought regarding the code you patched was
> that notification variables (current notification #, next
> notification time, etc.) should not get updated if no one actually
> gets notified.  This includes contacts that have no valid
> timeperiods.

What negative side effects did you observe.  I've had no problems on this
side and notifications are going out as expected.  The way I see it if there
isn't a person defined for a given escalation then it would fail back to the
default contact.  So there will always be someone defined for a given
notification number but they might not be notified because of out of hours.
I still can't understand why you wouldn't want to increment notification
numbers even if you don't notify someone.

> Unfortunately, this doesn't solve your problem. What I would suggest
> is that you set yourself to be the default contact for the host (with
> a default notification interval of 120 minutes) and keep the
> escalation you've already created.  This will have the effect you're
> looking for.  You will be notified first at 120 minutes.  After that,
> the escalation will kick in and you will be notified every 30 minutes
> until the problem is resolved.

We have our notification set at 30 minutes.  We have the pager get notified
at 1-3 tier 2 kicks in at 3-0 and managers get 5-5.  There are situations
where tier 2 is set to work hours only.  However management wants to always
be notified 24x7 at number 5.  With the patch I submitted things are working
exactly as we want.  If notification numbers aren't incremented unless
someone gets notified then unless 4 went out managers would never get
notified.

-Shad