problems with performance of cgi's

Eldad Zack eldad at stoneshaft.ath.cx
Fri Feb 13 13:53:54 CET 2004

Hi

On Fri, 2004-02-13 at 11:26, Marcus Hildenbrand wrote:
> We already tried to migrate to a new server with 2x2.4 GHz Pentium 4
> CPU's with 4 GB RAM running SuSE SLES 8. Unfortunately it runs slower on
> that box. For example a nagios -v nagios.cfg runs 3 times slower on that
> new box. The same is true for SuSE SLES 7. There seems to be a problem
> with Nagios running on Pentium 4 CPU's. Any idea how to tune Nagios
> running on a Pentium 4?

First thing that pops in mind are compiling it with more aggressive
flags and -march=pentium4.
I remembers something about gcc3 bugs regarding SSE/SSE2 but as these
are the CGIs you can allow yourself to at the very least test out what
can you acheive by playing with the compiler args.

That said, the CGIs really need to go, and as codewise nagios 2.0 is
just about ready, it's time to move the web-interface to something else.
My personal suggestion would be in the line of php+smarty.
php-accelerator would be used to increase performance, but not required.

Eldad