Deployment script

Ethan Galstad nagios at nagios.org
Tue Jun 27 07:15:56 CEST 2006

I would agree - this sounds pretty interesting and many people would
likely want to give it a try.  If you're not sure about starting an
official project, just release your scripts on NagiosExchange.org as
mentioned. You can always create an official project of it down the road
if you have the desire and time.  :-)

Thomas Sluyter wrote:
> Hello from another Thomas :)
>
> A few of the things you mention do sound interesting. In the least
> reading through these scripts would be a great learning experience
> for others. And perhaps others would like to use them as well.
>
> So indeed: why not put them up at Nagios Exchange?
>
> Cheers!
>

> Thomas
>

> On 23 Jun, 2006, at 9:30, Thomas Widhalm wrote:

>> Hello list!
>>
>> I started using nagios some time ago to monitor all of our servers and
>> must say, that I am really impressed!
>>
>> It took me some days to implement the whole monitoring so I thought
>> about making deployment for large sites easier. As I am
>> Administrator of
>> many servers at University and manage the servers of some small
>> companies I have a great need for a neat monitoring with some failover
>> capacity.
>>
>> I started writing a script, which will set up nagios on a server and
>> save some extra configuration file to a webserver. The same script is
>> able to set up nrpe and get the configuration from this file.
>>
>> Some main features besides this shall be:
>>
>> * Regular updates via a central console to the configuration of all or
>> just some of the clients. e.g. warning level from 5 to 7 users raised.
>>
>> * Standards for the configuration file, so various sites can start a
>> "failover-partnership" where one monitors the servers of the other.
>>
>> * Sending configuration data from nrpe clients to the server so the
>> server will automatically start monitoring these clients.
>>

>> I will go on creating this script, as I need it myself. I am just
>> wondering if its goals are useful enough to start a project website or
>> if there is no use than scripting practice for me.
>>
>> Please tell me your opinion.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Thomas

Ethan Galstad,