data compression in nsca

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Apr 11 15:53:17 CEST 2007

Matthias Haider wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> i am considering the reduction of traffic that remote monitored
> servers generate when they send data using send_nsca.
>
> i am wondering if if would be useful to use compression of the data
> befdore sending them..
> does anyone know if this is possible/ easy to implement?

It's possible and not overly hard (zlib is fairly straightforward to
use). I'm not sure how much benefit you'll notice from it though, as
send_nsca sends the output of one check at a time, and has no idea of
state. As such, you get the compression size overhead for each check,
and as the results should already be fairly small, you won't gain all
that much.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se