passive service freshness with nagios restart

Michelle Craft craft at cs.wisc.edu
Tue Jun 19 21:11:34 CEST 2007

>> base/checks.c:
>>
>>    /* CHANGED 02/25/06 SG - passive checks also become stale, so remove
>> dependence on active check logic */
>>    if(temp_service->has_been_checked==FALSE ||
>> program_start>temp_service-
>> >last_check)
>>
>>    expiration_time=(time_t)(program_start+freshness_threshold);

> Can't this be saved in the retention files (I thing it's already is) and
> then restored?
>
> IMHO that's the way I it should work; a restart shouldn't affect passive
> monitoring. We have things running monthly and expect that Nagios will
> catch
> them if they don't run for a month.

The retention file is the way it used to be - before the above change.  I
don't believe your monthly checks will work at the moment.

It looks like it was changed because:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.network.nagios.devel/2438/match=passive+freshness+restart

>> If the master is stopped for a
>> long time and then restarted, the passive checks go stale at the next
>> freshness cycle because there is not enough time for the slaves to
>> send results back.

- but nagios being down for a long time and having passive checks stale
for awhile doesn't seem nearly as bad a problem as passive checks not ever
becoming stale because of restarts.

--
Michelle