NDOutils, v1.4b7: Bug - no option for trimming nagios_externalcommands

Steffen Poulsen step at tdc.dk
Thu Feb 14 10:28:43 CET 2008

Hi,

ndo2db.cfg currently does have an option for trimming service checks
table, but apparently not for trimming the external commands table.

In our case our master server is receiving up to 40k passive checks/5
min as external commands, resulting in the mysql databasefile growing by
100-200 megabytes an hour.

We use the following workaround for now:

#!/bin/sh

# Workaround, no option in ndo2db.cfg for trimming the
nagios_externalcommands table in ndoutils 1.4b7
# Reported to mailinglist medio feb 2008

/usr/bin/mysql -unagiosuser -pnagiospw \
  -e 'USE master_ndo; DELETE FROM nagios_externalcommands WHERE
        unix_timestamp(entry_time) <
   (unix_timestamp(date_add(now(), interval -30 minute))); '

-----

On another note, is there an option we could enable for a looser
coupling between nagios and ndoutils?

For now it is clear that nagios simply hangs at times, i.e. when nd2db
is waiting for mysql to perform its maintenance (for instance when the
databasefile needs to be grown and re-arranged from x -> x+1 gigabytes
:-)).

Possible feature request: We would really appreciate it if it was
possible to do the communication between ndoutils and ndo2db
one-directional / asynchronously only - a la the UDP-implementation that
NagiosGrapher has chosen. Current TCP/synchroneous implementation has a
negative effect on the stability of the nagios process itself in a large
environment - at least that is our impression currently.

Best regards,
Steffen Poulsen