XHTML in Nagios

Limburg, Mark (SAPOL) Mark.Limburg at police.sa.gov.au
Thu Jan 10 03:15:23 CET 2008

Greetings,

Been a while since I haunted these lists (back in v2 beta days), but I'm
back and with a little project under my belt that may interest a few of
you.

I want to make the Nagios CGIs to produce XHTML1.

I started off with grand ideas of PHP integration or perhaps a template
engine, but I've returned to a more solid ground for now.  Whilst I know
my PHP, the integration of PHP into the existing CGI framework was
beyond my immediate skills ... and the C template engine I was going to
use had a memory leak (nothing is going to touch the stability of *MY*
nagios install).  So, my plan is to now alter the printf statements
directly.  This will be an acceptable middle ground for me, as it does
nothing to alter the stability of the application, whilst providing a
much cleaner/stylable set of output.

For now, I'm just getting the output of my Nagios install (not that
large) and rewriting the output into XHTML1 that makes some sense.  I
then alter the source accordingly.

When this little project has finished phase one, it should then produce
XHTML1 across the board.  However, I doubt this will be where I finish,
as what *I* see as well formed XHTML may not be the best way to do it.
Phase two will be tweaking the XHTML so a wide (all?) variety of CSS
magic can be applied.

Which is where this email comes in ..

As I'm starting the rewrite based on existing HTML output (because I
can't code in C, making it slow and difficult to fully understand the
output directly from the source), I'm asking for the community to send
me their various rendered HTML files.  In accordance with privacy
concerns, I would more than understand if these HTML files are altered a
bit - and that's fine - but I need well populated HTML so I can ensure
the XHTML that I write has a better chance to be done "right".  Hell, if
you want to send me your version of a XHTML1 page, feel free :)

I'm quite excited about this .. So far, I've altered the Tactical page
and it's looking pretty good.

Advice, warnings, code, ideas, anything .. Feel free to share :)

Mark