nsca-2.9 compatability

Mike Lindsey mike-nagios at 5dninja.net
Thu Jan 12 00:38:44 CET 2012

On 1/11/12 11:16 AM, Andrew Widdersheim wrote:
> I wanted to use Mike Lindsey's new features in nsca-2.9 but found that
> clients on 2.7.2 were not able to communicate after updating the
> server. I found this on the Nagios bug tracker:
>
> http://tracker.nagios.org/view.php?id=78
>
> From what I'm reading it's not possible to have a client and server
> compiled with different MAX_PLUGINOUTPUT_LENGTH. Has this been fixed
> at all and I'm just not finding it?

As far as I'm aware, there's no easy fix for this.  If you cannot
upgrade your clients, then you can recompile the nsca binary with
MAX_PLUGINOUTPUT_LENGTH set back to 512.  That should let you use the
checkresult directory feature, without breaking compatibility with older
clients.

I'll take another look at the source and see if any options jump out at
me, but I don't know how much effort I should put into it - I think
Andreas is actively working on a Better Solution.

--
Mike Lindsey