Nagios event handlers using ssh

Jim Mozley jim.mozley at exponential-e.com
Thu Dec 18 10:36:02 CET 2003

Peter Edmonds wrote:

> Luke Rosenthal wrote:
>
> Bout the same for us.  Next step is trying to implement something with
> net::ssh::perl that logs in and restarts services that fail, somehow
> linked to event handlers.  Anyone had experience with this?  Could
> check_by_ssh be given some creative commandline arguments?

The general management tool issue with this approach (the management
server doing restarts rather than agents) is that network problems
between the manager and agent may cause a restart to be kicked off when
in fact all is OK. Nagios may deal with this by not checking services
when hosts are down (comments on this welcome). At the moment I have
restart scripts running as daemons on the servers themselves and just
use Nagios as a monitor for this reason.

Jim