Quirky issues?

dave at homer.cymry.org dave at homer.cymry.org
Wed Dec 24 11:11:16 CET 2003

Hmm.. there are a bunch of filters around notification in nagios, so there are a bunch
of places your notifications could be getting filtered.. so for the oracle problem,
from
+top to bottom i'd probably check that:

That the host is not in a period of scheduled downtime
that flap detection is disabled
that there is a valid notification_period value on the host AND the service, and that
+the service was down in that period
that the notification_options (w,u,c,r) are the same for each contact in the contact
group which should be notified
that there is a valid notification_period value for each contact in the contact group,
and that the service was down in that period.

from what I understand host and service notifications are an either/or proposition.
Having host notifications off, shouldn't disable service notifications. My
understanding is based on my interpretation of
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/notifications.html
and I could very well be wrong. You should probably read it for yourself.

As far as 'Service Detail' having different settings than your config files, that
sounds to me like it could have something to do with state retention.  the
notifications_enabled directive is one that relies on state retention. I'd read up on
state retention at http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/notifications.html . Then I'd
probably disable it, and restart nagios.

Alternatively, you could use the external commands file to change notifications_enabled
for all services in a batch manner.

Something like for i in `cat listOfhosts`; do echo "`date '+%s'`
ENABLE_HOST_SVC_NOTIFICATIONS;${i}" >> /usr/local/nagios/rw/nagios.cmd

hope that helps.

On Wed, Dec 24, 2003 at 08:44:33AM -0500, TIM MOORE wrote:
> I have noticed a couple things about Nagios that don't seem to make sense.  Perhaps
+I'm just missing something and someone could shed some light.

> When I look under 'Service Detail' I have many devices that have their service
+notifications disabled by default.  I have notifications_enabled set to 1 on all
+service definitions in the services.cfg file.  The only way I can get them turned on
is
+if I drill down each one and click 'Enable notifications for this service'.  This will
+take forever as I have 1100 devices in the database.  My settings for service
+notifications is [w,u,c,r].  Why is this?

> Also, I had a device go down last night and no notification was sent.  Nagios says it
+was down for over 30 min, but nothing was sent.  I have service notification enabled
+for an oracle port but host notifications turned off.  Is it possible that if the host
+goes down and you have host notification turned off that it will take precedence over
+any service notifications and not send them?  That is the only thing I can figure.