notify-by-email not displaying complete info

Sean McAvoy sean.mcavoy at megawheels.com
Tue Feb 18 19:22:00 CET 2003

Hello,
I'm having a problem with the default 'notify-by-email' command. The
system registers the problem correctly (i.e. warning/critical, output is
there, etc.), but when it sends the notification information is missing.
I added a couple of things to output to a file, then pipe the output of
the file to mail to see what I could see (which was the exact same
thing).
It seems like not all of the information is being substituted (i.e.
$SERVICESTATE$ is blank).
I've included the email notification I receive as well as the command
that is being run for the notification.
Any suggestions would be appreciated

Command:
 # 'notify-by-email' command definition
define command{
	command_name	notify-by-email
	command_line	/usr/bin/printf "%b" "***** Nagios 1.0
*****\n\nNotification Type: $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\n\nService:
$SERVICEDESC$\nHost: $HOSTALIAS$\nAddress: $HOSTADDRESS$\nState:
$SERVICESTATE$\n\nDate/Time: $DATETIME$\n\nAdditional Info:\n\n$OUTPUT$"
> /tmp/notify.log && cat /tmp/notify.log | /usr/bin/mail -s "**
$NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ alert - $HOSTALIAS$/$SERVICEDESC$ is $SERVICESTATE$
**" $CONTACTEMAIL$
	}

email received (hostname,alias remove to protect the innocent):
***** Nagios 1.0 *****

Notification Type: PROBLEM

Service:
Host: [HOST_ALIAS]