status.cgi

Rob Nelson rob at capband.net
Tue Jul 29 15:33:51 CEST 2003

>As the emphasis in Nagios is put on services, that's where it all starts.
>So if you have a functioning service on an unreachable server, then there
>is a problem in your setop, no?

Yes, the problem is a VPN that restricts the number of connections across
it at the hardware level (new hardware that my cheapskate bosses finally
approved is on backorder, go figure). The service check is done thru NRPE,
but when that fails it tries to ping directly across the VPN for the
check_host_alive function. I'm too lazy to fix it, as I have more important
things to do like setting up the host_ and service_dependency strings on
200-some odd devices, so for the time being it's just a minor annoyance.

But, it can happen. What I really don't like is that there's a button for
"Check all services on this host immediately" but not "Check host
availability immediately" or something similar. I'll deal, but IMO it's a
valid criticism.

Rob Nelson
Network Administrator, Capitol Broadband
C: 919-369-1874
rob at capband.net