Nagios Plugin and Mail errors

Marc Powell mpowell at ena.com
Wed Sep 24 18:42:07 CEST 2003

According to rpmfind.net, libssl.so.4 appears in openssl-0.9.7a. Is that
installed on your system? Was that listed as a pre-requisite by whoever
built the RPM for you?

> How come it's not allowed to mail?
> And why don't my plugins work? They all give an error and the Status
> Information says: "(Return code of 127 is out of bounds - plugin may
be
> missing)" - except ping, which says "/bin/ping -n -U -c 5 <ip>" (and
> status is 'unknown') and SMTP (running fine).

Google is your friend --

http://www.faqs.org/docs/abs/HTML/exitcodes.html

return code of 126 means that the specified file is not executable. Is
/bin/mail executable by the nagios user on your system?

> The plugins directory is correct (as you can see from the first
error),
> I installed the RPM versions of Nagios and the plugins.

Correct for your installation maybe. I have mine in the standard
location of /usr/local/nagios/libexec. A return code of 127 means that
the command you are trying to execute was not found. Verify that the
$USER1$ macro in resource.cfg points to /usr/lib/nagios/plugins and/or
that your command definitions in commands.cfg are using the $USER1$
macro or have the full path to the command specified. Depending on who
built the RPM, those may be incorrect.

There are copious amounts of documentation on http://www.nagios.org that
will likely be of value.

--