Multiple interfaces

Karl DeBisschop karl at debisschop.net
Fri Aug 6 05:24:13 CEST 2004

Phil Dibowitz wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 10:14:48PM -0400, Michael W. Oliver wrote:
>
>>On 2004-07-30T18:52:28-0700, Phil Dibowitz wrote:
>>
>>>No, that was exactly my point, except that the FAQ doesn't use pairs, it
>>>just uses addresses:
>>>	address	192.168.1.1,192.168.2.1
>>>
>>>But none of the plugins I tried support that syntax.
>>
>>I don't know of any that would, so the only solution here is to roll
>>your own plugin.  I have done this a few times, with the most recent to
>>ping some hosts via IPv6 (ping6).
>>
>>Shouldn't be too much trouble to code it up in bourne shell, perl, etc.
>>depending on your skill level.
>>
>>Good luck!
>

> OK, just to be clear here -- I know I can make my own plugins... and I might.
>
> My question is -- what is everyone ELSE doing? I can't be the first person
> using nagios to have multiple interfaces on my servers...

I use the check_ping plugin from the 1.4.0 beta that support a
comma-separated interface list. This allows me to define a host as
comprised of the 3 interfaces. I then make the individual interfaces
into hosts that are dependent on those primary hosts. I do not check
multiple interfaces for anything other than ping.

There was a discussion in this topic some time ago, and there was a
general realization that check_ping is the only plugin that urgently
needs to support multiple interfaces. I think this thread brought up the
idea of a general wrapper that could make any plugin act as it it
supported multiple interfaces -- I think that is an excellent approach.
 From there, we could move on to adding the capability to check_tcp and
check_http. But the complexity of handling it on a case-by-case basis
may not be worthwhile for all the plugins. So at some point, we may need
to extend netutils.c to make general way of handling multiple interfaces
-- but I have not thought at all about what such changes might look like.

Hopefully that helps a little, and thanks for sustaining this thread
which has brought some light onto the topic, for me at least.

--
Karl