Nagios Log analyzer?

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Sat Dec 4 10:25:49 CET 2004

Robert Drake wrote:
> Andreas Ericsson(ae at op5.se)@2004-12-03 00:01:57 +0100:
>
>>Nopes, but they will be ported sometime not too soon to php. Most likely
>>with a lot of modifications. I think I've got some status-parsing
>>routines for PHP if you're interested.
>>

> Not quite the same question, but along similar lines.
>
> I'm about to start pulling my nagios.log into a SQL db, right now just
> by pulling the logs, but later through the hooks they're adding in
> nagios 2.

It's already been done. The NEB-module is very alpha and not widely
used, but if you have a look at the nagios-devel archives I'm sure
you'll find it there somewhere.

The current gui won't utilize the database though, but doing the updates
in a CPU efficient manner should be where the real problem resides.

> My nagios server doesn't have php installed so I was contemplating
> writing perl frontends.  But, everyone talks about php so I may just use
> it depending on how much I feel like writing the frontend.
>
> What I'd like to know is what's everyones current status on these
> things.  I'm trying to avoid duplicating effort so I'd like to know what
> everyone things about these things.
>
>   SQL schema.  Event logs are pretty easy to represent (flat table) but
>   it makes things easier if everyone represents them the same way.

Split them by field and have a separate table for service and host
status. That way you can index cleverly and optimize the SQL a lot more.

>   Generic calls for "backend" in the php/perl cgi's.  (So people can use
>   the nagios flat file if they want, or postgres or mysql just by
>   dropping in the needed stuff)

Indeed. fetch_service_status(host, service) and fetch_host_status(host).
If using files, the backend should cache the logs in its entirety when
it's read to save diskthrashing. If we're using the database there
shouldn't be any need for it (since a DB is pretty much just a cache
with ultra fast hashes).

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer