Ping WARNING and CRITICAL

Jim Mozley jim.mozley at exponential-e.com
Fri Jan 16 11:48:28 CET 2004

Frank Pikelner wrote:

> I read at post at one time as to how to implement WARNINGS and CRITICAL
> status when PING (ICMP) either drops enough packets or has longer latency.
> Searching through the archives I have been unsuccessful at find how to
> implement this in the configuration files. The only item found was:
>
> check_ping!100.0,20%!500.0,60%
>
> What is the correct syntax and where do I specify this?

Does the info below help?

# ./check_ping --help
check_ping (nagios-plugins 1.3.0) 1.11
The nagios plugins come with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. You may redistribute
copies of the plugins under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING.
Copyright (c) 1999-2001 Ethan Galstad/Karl DeBisschop
<kdebisschop at users.sourceforge.net>

Use ping to check connection statistics for a remote host.

Usage:
        [-p packets] [-t timeout] [-L]

  check_ping (-h | --help) for detailed help
  check_ping (-V | --version) for version information

-H, --hostname=HOST
    host to ping
-w, --warning=THRESHOLD
    warning threshold pair
-c, --critical=THRESHOLD
    critical threshold pair
-p, --packets=INTEGER
    number of ICMP ECHO packets to send (Default: 5)
-t, --timeout=INTEGER
    optional specified timeout in second (Default: 10)
-L, --link
    show HTML in the plugin output (obsoleted by urlize)
time (ms) which triggers a WARNING or CRITICAL state, and <pl> is the
percentage of packet loss to trigger an alarm state.