performance data bug?

gasman2 gasman2 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 21 00:31:29 CET 2004

Good day to all,

I am using Nagios version 1.1-5 on RedHat Fedora Core 1. The Nagios
installation was completed using the nagios-1.1-5.rhfc1.dag.i386.rpm which
can be found at: http://dag.wieers.com/packages/nagios/  . I am having some
difficulty with logging performance data for services. I am using the
default method for logging performance data.

I do not collect performance data for all services. The problem occurs when
two or more services are configured with different service_description but
have the same host_name and/or hostgroup_name set  as well as set to collect
performance data. Only one of the services logs performance data, but the
other does not. The services use the same "check_command", with the
exception of the filesystem name.

Nagios runs with the services as I have configured them. I get notifications
and everything seems to be working properly, except performance data
logging.
According to the Nagios documentation, "Services are uniquely identified
with their host_name and service_description directives." I believe I have
met this criteria.

I have a command definition configured to log performance data as follows:

# 'process-service-perfdata' command definition
define command{
   command_name process-service-perfdata
   command_line /bin/echo "$LASTCHECK$ $HOSTNAME$ $SERVICE DESC$
$SERVICESTATE$ $PERFDATA$" >>
/var/log/nagios/perfdata/service-perfdata-`date "+%m-%d-%Y"`.log
}

Here is an example of the service definitions:

# standard service template definition
define service{
  name prod-service
  active_checks_enabled 1
  passive_checks_enabled 1
  parallelize_check 1
  obsess_over_service 1
  check_freshness 0
  notifications_enabled 1
  event_handler_enabled 1
  flap_detection_enabled 1
  process_perf_data 1
  retain_status_information 1
  retain_nonstatus_information 1
  is_volatile 0
  check_period 24x7
  notification_period 24x7
  max_check_attempts 5
  normal_check_interval 10
  notification_interval 10
  notification_options w,u,c,r
  retry_check_interval 1
  register 0
}

# 'usr' service definition
define service{
    use prod-service
    hostgroup_name unix-servers
    service_description usr
    contact_groups network_services
    check_command fs_by_snmp_unix!usr!15!10
}

# 'var' service definition
define service{
   use prod-service
   hostgroup_name unix-servers
   service_description var
   contact_groups network_services
   check_command fs_by_snmp_unix!var!15!10
}

The "fs_by_snmp_unix" command is a script I wrote. It abides by the
guidelines given for handling performance data when a plugin is run. As I
said, I get some performance data logging, but not for all services in which
I have configured to collect performance data. So I do not believe the
script is the issue. I have tried putting "process_perf_data 1" in each
definition, but that did not correct the problem.

Thanks in advance for your assistance,

g2