Monitor disk use info !!!

Paul L. Allen pla at softflare.com
Thu Jan 29 00:57:46 CET 2004

Jason Martin writes:

> It sounds like you are looking for the -e option:
>
>  -e, --errors-only
>     Display only devices/mountpoints with errors

It wasn't me that wanted it but the other guy.  I didn't remember the
 -e option because it was long ago when I looked at what check_disk did
and figured out what I wanted to do with it.  Silly me, I also assumed
that because this guy asked, he had already looked at what check_disk did
and there wasn't such an option, so there was no need for me to have a
look.  Surely, if somebody asks for an option to do something, it is
because he has already looked at what options exist - not on this list,
which should probably be renamed nagios-for-users-too-lazy-or-too-stupid-
to-do-anything-for-themselves-and-expect-others-to-do-it-all-for-them.

The reason I decided against using -e all that time ago was that it
can give you a false sense of security if a mount-point goes missing
for whatever reason (a real possibility with NFS mounts, or if you have
more than one hard disk and one of them gets unmounted somehow).  If you
don't use -e then at least you have a chance of noticing if a mount goes
away, although you have to look hard and have a good memory for what
should be on each machine.  If you deal with all the mount points
separately then check_disk will actually notice that a mount point
has gone away and flag a critical error (and -e is no longer needed to
show which partition of many is critical because they're all handled
separately).

I decided that -e was more of a liability than an asset, and that
checking mount points individually was the way to go, then forgot all
about -e.  Checking mount points individually clutters up the displays,
though, and means more individual checks.  Better would be if check_disk
allowed multiple -p options, so that you could list all the mount points
you want to check, it would be done in one check, and you could use -e
to display only the ones with problems if you wanted.  Alternatively,
 -p could take a comma-separated list of mount points.  Either way
would let you spot if a mount point goes missing without having to
perform separate checks on each.

--
Paul Allen
Softflare Support