Cfg_dir Contact Bug?

Demetri Mouratis dmourati at cm.math.uiuc.edu
Thu Jul 8 22:46:03 CEST 2004

Greetings,

I have a Distributed Nagios configuration setup that's causing a mixup in
my notifications.  On each Distributed Nagios, I have some global
configuration then some specific configuration files in a cfg_dir.  On the
Central Nagios, I'm using cfg_dirs to keep per Distributed Nagios
configuration files like such:

cfg_dir=/etc/nagios/dev
cfg_dir=/etc/nagios/se

Each cfg_dir contains the following files:

contactgroups.cfg contacts.cfg hostgroups.cfg hosts.cfg services.cfg

This allows me to use rsync to push the config files from Distributed to
Central.  (I do have to make one change to remove the check_command lines
and instead let them inherit the default from the service template).

My problem is that that Central Nagios incorrectly assigns services inside
the dev services file to the se hostgroup, and therefore se contact.  As a
result, the se contact gets notified when a dev service goes down as seen
here (taken from the Notifications output):

Host 			Service 	<snip> 		Contact
sj-devnode2-app01 	PING 		<snip>		se

I am fairly conviced this is a bug in parsing various cfg_dirs because the
GUI provides the correct hostgroups, contactgroups and hosts when I use
the View Config->Hostgroups in the front end:

Group Name	Description	Default Contact Groups	Host Members
dev		dev 		dev-contactgroup 	<snip dev hosts>,
							sj-devnode1-app01,
							<snip dev hosts>
se		se 		se-contactgroup 	<snip se hosts>

However, the View Configs->Service shows the incorrect assignment:

Host 			 Description 	<snip>	Default Contact Groups
sj-devnode2-app01 	 PING 	 	<snip> 	se-contactgroup

Any help or other verification greatly appreciated and please let me know
if any of this is unclear.

Thanks.
Demetri Mouratis
dmourati at linfactory.com