build custom rpm with nagios-plugins and nagios-plugins-extras

Chris Armstrong chris.armstrong at cablecom.ch
Fri May 7 14:44:13 CEST 2004

Hi all

I'm trying to build a custom nagios-plugins rpm package for RedHat but there are some things i can't figure out.
Don't tell me to use the existing RPM packages. My company won't allow it :-|

I have seen, that two packages are needed. One is nagios-plugins that contains the basic plugins and one is nagios-plugins-extras that contains the custom plugins like check_snmp.

I have seen, that check_snmp.c is also in the plugins directory of the nagios-plugins source and i can't find any nagios-plugins-extras tar.gz file anywhere on google or nagios.org.

Questions:
-> Does this mean that check_snmp and all of these plugins got included in to the nagios-plugins tar.gz file?

-> Or where can i get the nagios-plugins-extras tar.gz file?

-> What do i need to build these extra plugins?

When i use the nagios-plugins.spec file that is included in the nagios-plugins source, then i get following error:

+ umask 022
+ cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD
+ cd nagios-plugins-1.3.0
+ DOCDIR=/var/tmp/nagios-plugins-buildroot/usr/share/doc/nagios-plugins-1.3.0
+ export DOCDIR
+ rm -rf /var/tmp/nagios-plugins-buildroot/usr/share/doc/nagios-plugins-1.3.0
+ /bin/mkdir -p
 /var/tmp/nagios-plugins-buildroot/usr/share/doc/nagios-plugins-1.3.0
+ cp -pr INSTALL README REQUIREMENTS COPYING ChangeLog command.cfg /var/tmp/nagios-plugins-buildroot/usr/share/doc/nagios-plugins-1.3.0
+ exit 0
Processing files: nagios-plugins-extras-1.3.0-1.9
error: File not found: /var/tmp/nagios-plugins-buildroot/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_mysql
error: File not found: /var/tmp/nagios-plugins-buildroot/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_pgsql
error: File not found: /var/tmp/nagios-plugins-buildroot/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_snmp
error: File not found: /var/tmp/nagios-plugins-buildroot/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_hpjd

RPM build errors:
    File not found: /var/tmp/nagios-plugins-buildroot/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_fping
    File not found: /var/tmp/nagios-plugins-buildroot/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_mysql
    File not found: /var/tmp/nagios-plugins-buildroot/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_pgsql
    File not found: /var/tmp/nagios-plugins-buildroot/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_snmp
    File not found: /var/tmp/nagios-plugins-buildroot/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_hpjd

When i read the INSTALL file from the source of nagios-plugins i see that you can specify different extras by using ./configure --enable-<something>. So i have tried to compile manually as following: ./configure --enable-check_snmp but this didn't work.
I have additionally read that the enable options are documentated in the README file but couldn't find a description about this options.

Can you give me some hints on this?

Thanks
Chris Armstrong