Passive service-checks

Johan Henes johan at henes.no
Tue Sep 14 23:59:47 CEST 2004

I have sent a mail about this earlier with no resonse, so I try again...

I have set up nagios to receive snmp-traps via passive service-checks.
The traps come in to nagios ok, but no notifications are sent out. The
logfile says that a trap is received, the trap shows up in the
serviceview in nagios, but no notifications. The only notification i
have received is this :

***** Nagios  *****

Notification Type: PROBLEM

Service: TRAP
Host: NetLink II AU #2
Address: 10.0.48.10
State: CRITICAL

Date/Time: Tue Sept 14 22:47:52 CEST 2004

Additional Info:

CRITICAL - Plugin timed out after 10 seconds
Could this explain why notifications for passive checks isn't sent ?

Does anybody know why this is sent ??

Nagios says when a trap has arrived :
---
[1095197698] EXTERNAL COMMAND:
PROCESS_SERVICE_CHECK_RESULT;10.0.48.40;TRAP;WARNING;10.0.48.5
login/logout with 0
---
My services.cfg has :
---
define service{
        host_name                       *
        service_description             TRAP
        is_volatile                     1
        check_period                    24x7
        contact_groups                  linux-admins
        passive_checks_enabled          1
        active_checks_enabled           0
        max_check_attempts              1
        normal_check_interval           5
        retry_check_interval            1
        notification_interval           5
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            w,u,c,r
        notifications_enabled           1
        check_command                   check-host-alive
}
-----

Is there any trick to get some more debugging info ??

Best regards,

Johan