trouble getting started: getting error 127 out of bounds on check_http

Aleksey Tsalolikhin aleksey.tsalolikhin at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 01:07:46 CET 2005

On 11/30/05, Steve Shipway <s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz> wrote:

> This shows that your Nagios installation is trying to call '/check_http',
> which does not exist.  A non-existant or non-executable plugin will always
> give you a code of 127 (which is an exec failure).  Nagios is telling you
> that the plugin does not exist where defined.
>
> Looking at your definition of check_http, it would seem that you have maybe
> forgotten to set $USER1$ ?  You have said $USER1$/check_http, but the error
> emssage is for /check_http. Check your definitions, and run the config check
> on your entire setup.

Dear Steve,

  Thank you for your reply.

  I do have USER1 set in my resource.cfg:

nagios at mynode$ grep USER1 resource.cfg
# Nagios supports up to 32 $USERx$ macros ($USER1$ through $USER32$)
# Sets $USER1$ to be the path to the plugins
$USER1$=/usr/local/nagios/libexec
nagios at mynode$

However this does not seem to be getting passed along.  I've resorted
to replacing $USER1$ with /usr/local/nagios/libexec in my
checkcommands.cfg which got me to the next stage (check_http is now
working and I am playing with configuring additional plug-ins).

I don't think it will hurt me that I've bypassed the macro.  If I am
mistaken, please let me know.

Truly,
-at