Checking hosts with no services

Dan Stromberg strombrg at dcs.nac.uci.edu
Thu Feb 10 20:26:38 CET 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 12:52 +0100, Hendrik "Boomer" Baecker wrote:
> Ian Chard schrieb:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > If I have hosts with no associated services (e.g. routers that I can't
> > SNMP query), will host checks be scheduled for them, or do I need to
> > use check_interval?
> >
> > Thanks
> > - Ian
> >
> Hi,
>
> when I am not wrong, you can't do this. Nagios checks Service not Hosts.
> The hosts were just checked if one Service-Check failes.
>
> Try to use the check_ping or check_icmp (it's nice and very fast!) as a
> standard service for your hosts which can't be monitored by other checks.

I concur - a check_icmp for the host check, and another check_icmp as
service would be a good idea for a box that has no ports open
whatsoever.

However, you may want to confirm that you really do have no ports open
at all, by running:

nmap -sS router.box.com
nmap -sU router.box.com

You may even want to through in a -p1-65535 on both commands, to make
nmap scan all 128K ports, instead of just common ones.