AW: Monitoring clamav signature updates

Schmitz, Carsten Carsten.Schmitz at aegon.com
Mon Feb 21 11:48:12 CET 2005

> but how to integrate with Nagios?

Shell script. Code your "signature compare" logic in your prefered shell using awk or cut and test (or perl or any other language), output error level 0 for okay, 1 warning, 2 error.

But I have troubles seeing how to deduct the signature freshness from those commands (maybe thats just me, my clamav isn't production and not up-to-date).

But why not just use freshclam for Nagios? Call freshclam from shell script, grep for "<filename.cvd> is is up to date", return code 0 if found, 2 if not. Much easier.

Here's my (much outdated ;) freshclam output so you can see what to grep for:

freshclam
ClamAV update process started at Mon Feb 21 11:43:30 2005
Reading CVD header (main.cvd): OK
main.cvd is up to date (version: 29, sigs: 29086, f-level: 3, builder: tomek)
Reading CVD header (daily.cvd): OK
daily.cvd is up to date (version: 718, sigs: 1929, f-level: 4, builder: tkojm)
WARNING: Your ClamAV installation is OUTDATED - please update immediately!
WARNING: Current functionality level = 3, required = 4

Cheers,
Carsten