INETD and NRPE daemon in solaris 8

Phil Costelloe philc at foundation-it.com
Thu Jan 6 16:20:41 CET 2005

Jim Mozley wrote:

> Sudheer Muddappa wrote:
>
>> I am not able to start the nrpe as a service in sol 8.
>
> I'm assuming you mean daemon rather than service as its solaris.

No, it is known as a service - for example, the man page for Solaris
inetd.conf describes the first field on the line as <service name>.

>> THis is the entry I have in inetd.conf file.
>>
>> Nothing shows up in logs
>>
>> nrpe    stream  tcp     nowait nagios /usr/local/nagios/nrpe
>> /usr/local/nagios/nrpe -c /usr/local/nagios/nrpe.cfg --inetd

I run nrpe using tcpwrappers and inetd on Solaris 8 so my inetd.conf
entry is slightly different, but that looks perfectly correct (presuming
there's a nagios user and Nagios is installed in /usr/local/nagios).
That suggests an error elsewhere. Is there an entry in /etc/services for
nrpe (port 5666/tcp)? Has inetd been restarted since inetd.conf was
changed? Running inetd in foreground debugging mode (see the man page
for how to do it) might give you some more information about what's
happening.

Phil