Distributed Nagios and scheduling service check from the central server

Dustin Kamper dkamper at mxlogic.com
Thu Jul 14 18:23:10 CEST 2005

I have a distributed Nagios setup I'm testing with 2 distributed servers
and 1 central server.  The distributed servers run all checks and send
the results to the central server.  The central server is configured to
accept passive service checks and check for freshness.  Active checks
are turned off on the central server.

With active checks turned off, it seems that I cannot schedule a check
of services from the central server web page.  If I turn on active
checks (to allow a forced scheduled check) then the checks are run per
normal_check_interval, which I don't want.  So, I have increased the
normal_check_interval to a very high number to make active check only
run occasionally, but this will effect the freshness checking.  Nothing
seems to be working the way I need it to.

Is there a way to be able to manually schedule a check of services from
the central server in a distributed setup?  I don't want active checks
performed from the central server but I would like freshness checking to
be performed.

Dustin Kamper
Systems Engineer
MX Logic, Inc.