DOUBLE not taken in check_smtp/pop

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Mon Jul 18 19:09:00 CEST 2005

This plugin requires the time to be a positive integer.

> The -h for those plugins lists the following for -w and -c:
>
> -w, --warning=DOUBLE
>     Response time to result in warning status (seconds)
>  -c, --critical=DOUBLE
>     Response time to result in critical status (seconds)
> ___END
>
> So the question is does DOUBLE mean integer or floating point?
Wikipedia
> has
> this to say:

[snip]

> If it is an integer then why would anyone want to check double
precision
> lenths
> of time as opposed to floating point to check say fractions of a
second
> response
> times?
>
> So is this a bug or do we like to check for response times of a
million
> seconds?

These plugins use portions of the generic help routines from utils.h
which is also used by many of the other plugins. The -w and -c help
information comes from there. Some plugins require integers for those
values, some may accept floats. In each case, the plugin should be more
specific about what it requires as above.

--
Marc