Monitoring tool for a large enterprice? Is Nagios suitable to any degree?

Patrick Friedel pfriedel at copweb.com
Thu Jun 2 18:51:49 CEST 2005

Subhendu Ghosh wrote:

> For link traffic/app response times  - MRTG/Cricket/Cacti with alerts
> to Nagios

  Could you or someone else please expound a bit on this?  I'm running
Cacti and Nagios, and the other day an event cropped up that I wasn't
explicitly monitoring for in Nagios.  A single PVC went down but the
other PVC picked up the load so Nagios remained blissfully unaware of
the damage.  (I'm monitoring the interfaces individually now. :)  In the
post-event reporting, I checked Cacti and saw that it had noticed the
individual interface went down.  In the grand scheme of things it
probably isn't a huge deal to have both Cacti and Nagios checking SNMP
iface stats every 5 minutes, but it might be a problem for others
depending on their network complexity.  (And I'm borderline - our FR
cloud is only 56k with about 20 sites, so I have to balance immediacy of
reporting versus soaking up a sizable percentage of the could's total
available bandwidth just in making sure it's still there.  Cacti came
along to help me tweak the interval_length.)

  Cacti's forums rumble about doing this, but I haven't managed to find
a clear picture about it yet.

  Or are you just thinking about something like user-developed glue to
check the RRDs and give Nagios a holler if the data indicates it should?