Gathering SNMP stats with Nagios ?

Subhendu Ghosh sghosh at sghosh.org
Tue Mar 15 17:27:36 CET 2005

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, Michael Gale wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have been using nagios for a while now and it is a great tool. Today
> some posed the question, with nagios could you log the SNMP status.
>
> Now I don't think that nagios can do this, but would it be possible to
> pass the SNMP status to something like cricket ?
> (cricket.sourceforge.net)
>
> Thanks.

You could, but for larger installations - you don't.  Most SNMP and
Cricket in particular, like to get their data on the interval. They can
compensate, but you'd rather not do too much of that.

Also the SNMP engine in Cricket is much better at consolidating all the
requests to a target.  Nagios does not do that.

--
-sg