is there something like servicegroupescalation?

Matija Grabnar matija.grabnar at arnes.si
Wed Nov 30 15:30:51 CET 2005

Running Nagios 1.3

Background:
   In an attempt to make it simple to add hosts/services to monitor to
nagios, I've come up with a scheme where
each host has a file in a configuration directory, and each file
contains a list of all possible services (some commented
out). That way, to add a new host, one simply needs to copy a template
file to a file called <hostname>.cfg, uncomment
the services one wants monitored, and restart nagios.

Problem:
  I want a specific escalation schedule for (all/most) of my services:
first a mail is sent to a mailing list, and if the problem
hasn't cleared after a specified time, the pagers of various people
start getting notified (in a specific sequence).

  At first it looked like I might be able to do that by putting all the
servers into a hostgroup, and defining a short list
of hostgroupescalation settings. However, after testing it appears that
hostgroupescalation only works for HOST events, and not for SERVICE
events. Looking at serviceescalation, it looks like I would have to
enter the same list of
serviceescalation commands for each [host,service] pair - which would
make my configuration file much more
unwieldly.

  So is there any way to define escalations for GROUPS of services? All
services on one host (without having
to enumerate them) would be good. All services on a hostgroup would be
even better. Any way short of having to
enumerate all the [host,service] pairs would be at least something. I'm
open to ideas.

Best regards,
          Matija Grabnar