nagios 1.2 UI on Solaris 9 unable to detect process is running

Haramundanis, Sergei E sergei.e.haramundanis at bankofamerica.com
Tue Oct 4 20:04:42 CEST 2005

When using the Nagios UI (w/Apache 2.0.54 running as nobody) to view Service Detail it always give the "Monitoring process may not be running" warning. This also causes process commands to not be listed/available, and the process status is always UNKNOWN. The service details for all hosts appear ok so I know it is not an issue generally executing the .cgis and the nagios process is definitely running:

nagios  6725     1  0 15:24:27 ?        0:11 /opt/nagios/bin/nagios -d /opt/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg

I've set userids nagios and nobody to be in the same group (nagiocmd) and set permissions on all the files and directories (and subdirectories) in /opt/nagios to "rwxrwxr-x   1 nagios   nagiocmd".

Executing ./bin/nagios -v ./etc/nagios.cfg returns 0 warnings 0 errors.

Executing the nagios check command from the command line (as userid nagios) and via a perl script from my web server's cgi-bin directories (so it runs as nobody) also works fine and returns:

Nagios ok: located 1 process, status log updated 14 seconds ago

Here is the nagios check command I am using:

from the command line/perl script:
/opt/nagios/plugins/libexec/check_nagios /opt/nagios/var/status.log 5 '/opt/nagios/bin/nagios' 2>&1

from cgi.cfg:
nagios_check_command=/opt/nagios/plugins/libexec/check_nagios /opt/nagios/var/status.log 5 '/opt/nagios/bin/nagios'

I have not been able to find any logs which indicate any errors. I have also tried executing extinfo.cgi from the command line but I don't know what the QUERY_STRING is supposed to be for the POST parameters.

Can anyone give me any pointers to figure out why nagios process detection and process commands do not work? This is happening on two similar installations. If you need more configuration information, please let me know. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.