Processing all messages with NEB

Mohr James james.mohr at elaxy.com
Sun Oct 23 15:05:01 CEST 2005

Hi All!

What I need to do is to catch all service messages/text that are sent to Nagios, whether done via an active or passive check (i.e. send_nsca). I am using the helloworld.c example  and I have finally figured out how to get pull most of the data. I have a fuction like this that usually does what I want:

int helloworld_handle_status(int event_type, void *data){
char temp_buffer[1024];
service * tmp_service;
nebstruct_service_status_data * service_status_data;
if( (service_status_data=(nebstruct_service_status_data *)data) ){
  tmp_service = (service *) service_status_data->object_ptr;
snprintf(temp_buffer,sizeof(temp_buffer)-1,"EVENT: %d MESSAGE: %s",event_type,tmp_service->plugin_output);
}
write_to_all_logs(temp_buffer,NSLOG_INFO_MESSAGE);
/* write_to_all_logs("inside: helloworld_handle_status",NSLOG_INFO_MESSAGE); */
}

However, when use tmp_service->plugin_output, it says "structure has no member named `plugin_output'". Inside of ../include/ojects.h, there is the definition of the service_struct, which shows me

char    *plugin_output;

However, this is within an the block #ifdef NSCORE. Moving the line outside of the block, it will compile but when I send something to a service with send_nsca  the value of plugin_output ends up being null. So, I am at a loss how to get the text of the plugin_output.

I have looked at th code for the mysql inserter module. However, I get stuck here as well.One thing that is unclear is whether **all** messages get sent through here or just the status changes. I need all of the messages and not just the status changes.

An additional goal is to be able to process and change the messages before being sent to the GUI. For example, the text contains a code number which tells the system to change the text to a specific URL so all you need to do is click on the message text to  get instructions on what to do in a specific case. However, I have not yet figured out how to change the message that appears in the GUI.

Any help would be greatly appreaciated.

Regards,

Jim Mohr