False positive? (CRITICAL - Time to live exceeded)

Jason Byrns jason-sourceforge at microlnk.net
Fri Oct 28 18:59:44 CEST 2005

> I expect you ran check_icmp and check_fping from the Nagios server, right?

Yes, I was running these commands from the Nagios servers.

...and the answer turns out to be unexpected, but fairly simple.
Someone here was making changes to this device on our network without
letting me know the details.

* This particular device was replaced with a non-SNMP-capable unit
* Someone then disabled the Nagios checks of this host
* (This all happened over four months ago)

Nagios seems to have been choking because the (SNMP) service check could
not complete.  Once I changed the service check just to ping-only,
everything went green again.

The moral of the story: people shouldn't monkey with networks, equipment
and servers without notifying the administrator!

Thanks again for your input and help, much appreciated!

--
Jason Byrns
Production Manager