Problem with check_oracle

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Fri Sep 30 16:01:26 CEST 2005

Hans Engelen wrote:

---[ Highly detailed and very useful help cut ]---

>  The biggest problem I have had with check_oracle however is when it is run
> by the Nagios process. I have found this bit to be extremely cumbersome on
> my setup. I kept getting errormessages about the client not being able to
> set up the NLS environment which ... quite frankly proved to be a serious
> problem to tackle. Best I can figure it has something to do with the
> NLS_LANG (or was it LANG)  environment variable and others not being properly
> setup (in fact I suspect no environment variables get set) when run via
> Nagios.

It's the LANG environment variable. NLS_LANG has no special meaning.

Nagios uses the library wrapper popen() to execute other programs (for
now, anyways). popen()'ed children inherit the environment from the
parent (but doesn't read any of the profile or rc-files; sh -c is called
in to execute the program in question). At least on Linux and *BSD,
although I can't imagine those systems going through the extra trouble
of copying the environment data unless it was in POSIX.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se