Multi-line Status Information Idea

John P. Rouillard rouilj at cs.umb.edu
Fri Dec 29 18:40:18 CET 2006

In message <2geap2pt8i30oph4ggm376131u039tfu29 at 4ax.com>,
Elliot Finley writes:
>I have a lot of custom alarms that need to generate a lot of status
>information.  The way I deal with this is I generate an HTML file that
>I place on the nagios server and the one line that I return as the
>status is a link to this file.
>
>It would be nice if this were generalized such that if only one line
>were returned to nagios, it would be displayed.  But if multiple lines
>were returned then nagios would create an HTML file from lines 2-N and
>URLize the first line to point to this file.
>
>Any opinions on this idea?  Any hopes of getting this feature into a
>future release of Nagios?

Nagios 3 will support multiline output, although I am not sure of the
mechanism. I am guessing that the unique event ID that is part of
nagios 3 is used to label the multi-line output when it is broken into
small enough chunks to be (atomically) fed back to the nagios core.

In any case, at a prior employer I created a plugin wrapper that
captured the output from it's child plugins and and sent back a URL to
the file with all the output once the non-performance part of the
output got too large (360 char or so IIRC).

The only problem was that the html file could be opened by anybody
(bypassing nagios permission checks), but the name was random (well an
md5 hash of the script pid and time) and unique (more or less), so
people could guess it but it was good enough for what we needed at the
time.

				-- rouilj
John Rouillard