NRPE, SMF and Solaris 10

Alloo, Vincent v-alloo at ti.com
Fri Jul 7 13:38:57 CEST 2006

Hello,

I have a full Nagios infrastructure running fine on multiple OS (Solaris
8, RH).

I'm trying now to add another client running Solaris 10 06/06 (Sparc).

I have converted my inetd.conf using inetconv utility to create the SMF
service for NRPE.

Unfortunately, it is not working. Can you help me to correct the
problem? SSL enabled.

Here is my SMF config:

# inetadm | grep nrpe

enabled   online         svc:/network/nrpe/tcp:default

# svcs \*nrpe\*

STATE          STIME    FMRI

online         13:26:45 svc:/network/nrpe/tcp:default

# inetadm -l svc:/network/nrpe/tcp:default

SCOPE    NAME=VALUE

         name="nrpe"

         endpoint_type="stream"

         proto="tcp"

         isrpc=FALSE

         wait=FALSE

         exec="/apps/nagios/nrpe/nrpe -c
/db/sysadmin/nagios/nrpe_debug.cfg -i"

         arg0="/apps/nagios/nrpe/nrpe"

         user="nagios"

default  bind_addr=""

default  bind_fail_max=-1

default  bind_fail_interval=-1

default  max_con_rate=-1

default  max_copies=-1

default  con_rate_offline=-1

default  failrate_cnt=40

default  failrate_interval=60

default  inherit_env=TRUE

         tcp_trace=FALSE

default  tcp_wrappers=FALSE

and the error message in the syslog after a "check_nrpe -H svrsaseng01
-c uname":

Jul  7 13:26:54 svrsaseng01 nrpe[11278]: [ID 306117 daemon.error] Error:
NRPE daemon cannot be run as user/group root!

Thanks.

Vincent Alloo

TI France Design Systems Operations Manager

Europe, Middle East and Africa IT Services

Texas Instruments France

E-Mail: v-alloo at ti.com

Phone: +33 4 93 22 26 97

Mobile: +33 6 82 13 00 80