No Output

Williard, Jason Jason.Williard at chartercom.com
Tue Jun 27 16:58:02 CEST 2006

However,
> in previous versions of Nagios, it would show the site as DOWN rather
> than UNREACHABLE.

That should still be the case. Nagios determines down v.s. unreachable
by running the host check_command for the parents. If that returns down
then the initial host is unreachable, otherwise the host is just down. I
don't use host checks so I am unable to verify this myself but I haven't
heard of anyone else having the same issue. I've looked through checks.c
and the only place an UNREACHABLE status is assigned is here --

After seeing this last message from you, it finally hit me...  When I
first started up the new version, I had not installed the new plugins,
so check_ping did not exist.  This caused everything to show up as
UNREACHABLE, including the parent sites KWA-Core-7206 & MOR-7206.  I
deleted the log files and restarted Nagios, allowing it to go through
the initial discovery again.  This time, the two sites that are down
showed up as DOWN.  So now I know, if the parent site is down when the
site first goes down, it will show up as UNREACHABLE, even if the parent
site comes back up.

Thanks for all your assistance.  It probably would have taken much
longer for me to realize this mistake, had you not offered so much help.

Jason

E-MAIL CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

The contents of this e-mail message and
any attachments are intended solely for the
addressee(s) and may contain confidential
and/or legally privileged information. If you
are not the intended recipient of this message
or if this message has been addressed to you
in error, please immediately alert the sender
 by reply e-mail and then delete this message
and any attachments. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are notified that
any use, dissemination, distribution, copying,
or storage of this message or any attachment
is strictly prohibited.