Authentication Issues

Jody Noscov jnosc at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 10 01:21:02 CET 2006

Hi There,

I have been having problems with authenticating my nagiosadmin user. It
keeps prompting me. I have gone through the documentation over and over and
did a complete reinstall of RedHat(8), just in case. I have a fresh new
install of nagios, but am still recieving the prompt.
I checked the error file and recieved this:
[Fri Mar 10 10:06:38 2006] [error] [client 192.168.49.5] (13)Permission
denied: Could not open password file: /usr/local/nagios/etc/htpasswd.users
[Fri Mar 10 10:06:38 2006] [error] [client 192.168.49.5] user nagiosadmin
not found: /nagios
The only thing I have changed this time around is the folder in which the
nagios user owns. It was the owner of /home/nagios even though i followed
the documentation and used the 'chown nagios.nagios /usr/local/nagios'
command.
I have also re added the nagiosadmin user again using 'htpasswd -c
/usr/local/nagios/etc/htpasswd.users nagiosadmin' command.

Also have added the following snippet to the httpd.conf file:

ScriptAlias /nagios/cgi-bin /usr/local/nagios/sbin

<Directory "/usr/local/nagios/sbin">
    Options ExecCGI
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
    AuthName "Nagios Access"
    AuthType Basic
    AuthUserFile /usr/local/nagios/etc/htpasswd.users
    Require valid-user
</Directory>

Alias /nagios /usr/local/nagios/share

<Directory "/usr/local/nagios/share">
    Options None
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
    AuthName "Nagios Access"
    AuthType Basic
    AuthUserFile /usr/local/nagios/etc/htpasswd.users
    Require valid-user
</Directory>

I am still recieving this error. (BAH!)