where to get help with ext. cmd CHANGE_NORMAL_SVC_CHECK_INTERVAL ?

prosolutions at gmx.net prosolutions at gmx.net
Thu Mar 16 23:33:29 CET 2006

I am using the CHANGE_NORMAL_SVC_CHECK_INTERVAL so that if a state of
CRITICAL HARD exists longer than the time period covered by
retry_check_interval and max_check_attempts nagios will still continue
checking the service at an increased interval until it returns to OK.
The essence of my external check command, based on the example in the
nagios documentation, is:

#!/bin/sh
OK)
    now=`date +%s`
    commandfile='/mnt/ha0/tmon/var/rw/nagios.cmd'
    printf "[%lu] CHANGE_NORMAL_SVC_CHECK_INTERVAL;$4;$5;90\n" $now > $comm
andfile
    ;;
WARNING)
    ;;
UNKNOWN)
    ;;
CRITICAL)
    case "$2" in
    SOFT)
#        now=`date +%s`
#        commandfile='/mnt/ha0/tmon/var/rw/nagios.cmd'
#        printf "[%lu] CHANGE_NORMAL_SVC_CHECK_INTERVAL;'$4';$5;15\n" $now > $comm
andfile
        ;;
    HARD)
        now=`date +%s`
        commandfile='/mnt/ha0/tmon/var/rw/nagios.cmd'
        printf "[%lu] CHANGE_NORMAL_SVC_CHECK_INTERVAL;$4;$5;15\n" $now > $commandfile
#       echo "[%lu] CHANGE_NORMAL_SVC_CHECK_INTERVAL;$4;$5;15\n" $now $commandfile >> /tmp/args.txt
        ;;
    esac
    ;;
esac
exit 0

I see after max_check_attempts that state to go CRITICAL HARD for the service and then it runs the event_handler which runs the external command:

[1142543941] EXTERNAL COMMAND: CHANGE_NORMAL_SVC_CHECK_INTERVAL;test_host;test.html;15

this should set the check_interval to 15 seconds in stead of the default 90 seconds.  However, watching the log I see that the checks on the service revert to 90 s.

I cannot find ANY documentation nor mention of this command, CHANGE_NORMAL_SVC_CHECK_INTERVAL, anywhere on the users or dev mailing lists, via google, or anywhere else except here:

http://www.nagios.org/developerinfo/externalcommands/commandinfo.php?command_id=110

At this point I know the command is being run but for whatever reason it appears to not be working.  I'm not sure where to get more help with this.