Advanced permissions/user properties

Alex Burger alex_b at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Nov 6 17:34:57 CET 2006

Hi Tobias.

Tobias Klausmann wrote:
> I think one could make a case for x being everything that
> concerns the current state of an object, i.e. mainly
> acknowledgement(s). The w flag could be used for en/disabling
> (semi)permanent stuff, like disabling active checks.
>
> On the other hand, many actions (like schedule downtime) would
> fall into a grey area, so maybe using x for all of them and
> "keeping" w for later is better.

Right now, all commands that can be submitted are grouped together.  I
don't think there is currently any way to to allow someone to schedule
downtime, but not force a check of all services.  This of course could
be changed, but I haven't looked at it yet.

To implement this, we would need a list of all the possible service /
host commands, and what permission a user should have to execute it.  I
had a quick look and it looks like most should require a 'wx' permission
except for maybe 'schedule an imemdiate check of all services'.  I don't
like the idea of giving 're-schedule the next check of this service' to
anyone with read access as they could set it to check a week from now.
Like you said, maybe it's better to just keep the 'x' as it is.

>> I also changed it so that you will only see a service if you are a
>> contact for it.  I think this is the same change that Ton mentioned in
>> his last email.  I did this to test the 'r' permission.
>
> This was the default in our installation (by way of not having an
> asterisk in the corresponding line(s) in the main config file.

It looks like if you are a contact for a host, then you automatically
have access to view all services.  I tested this by making a user
(group) a contact for a host and only two of the host's services.  The
user was able to see all services even though he was not listed on the
others.

Alex