Using nagios for reporting on non-machine data such as employees?

Aaron Devey adevey at omniture.com
Wed Apr 25 08:47:11 CEST 2007

Kelly,
I admire your determination to use nagios in many versatile ways.
Unfortunately, nagios is probably not the best fit in this case.  This
is especially true if you really intend to use passive checks instead of
leveraging nagios' powerful scheduling or notification features.  Plus,
adding a new employee could be a potential nightmare if many systems are
involved. The effort spent in getting nagios services set up and
reto-fitted the way you need would be much better spent on a more
conventional solution. Your situation is fairly unique, so I am unable
to think of any ready-to-go solutions.  In the long run it's probably
easiest to periodically upload all this data to a database and put some
php scripts together so you can view reports on that data over a web
interface.
-Aaron Devey