FW: Memory leaks

Wheeler, JF (Jonathan) J.F.Wheeler at rl.ac.uk
Fri Jan 26 11:19:39 CET 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: nagios-users-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net On Behalf Of Andreas
Ericsson
Sent: 24 January 2007 11:15

> Tobias Klausmann wrote:
(big snip)

>> For vanilla Nagios, at least it's clear that in whatever way
>> memory is wasted, it also slows Nagios down - a possibility would
>> be a linked list that is walked and gets appended over and over.
>> But I guess those with knowledge of the inner workings of Nagios
>> have more clue about this than I do.

> Anyone wanting to look into it should probably take a look at the
> event scheduling queue.

I have also been experiencing memory leaks, such that the kernel has
been taking drastic action by killing processes starting with nagios and
often including httpd, sshd etc.  This all seems to happen at about 4:45
every morning.  A reboot solves the problem and everything starts up
again, but yesterday I decided to reboot using the single processor
kernel (most of our nodes are dual processor, some are dual core as
well) and there is no sign of a memory leak today !

Does that give anyone any clues ?

Jonathan Wheeler
e-Science Centre
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory