running multiple nagios instances?

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Sun Jul 22 00:20:57 CEST 2007

nice

Yes, it works just fine. Never had a problem and have been doing it for
over 5 years. 2 central nagios machines and 5 collector machines
(reporting to the two central boxen). Configs are updated and
distributed hourly via rsync. We also store our configs in CVS so we
have change history and accountability. For that matter, you could even
use CVS over ssh to keep the remote boxen updated. I don't believe one
way is significantly better than the other.

> to set it up somehow so that only our main server sends out the
> notifications when it's online or we'll get twice the notifications
for

Easy to do if you disable notifications on the second box.

> same failed services, which is a no-no. The secondary server could
send
> out the alerts if the primary fails numerous checks from the secondary
for
> uptime.

Yup. You could use an event handler to send the external command to
globally enable notifications. When the primary box recovered that same
event handler could disable notifications once again. All nice and
automatic.

> Hopefully I didn't confuse anyone. If any of you guys/gals know of a
> plugin or a nice way of setting this up, please do speak up!

You've pretty much hit it on the nose. It's pretty straightforward with
minimal scripting necessary...

--
Marc