Archived Log Files

Ryan Steele steele at agora-net.com
Thu Mar 15 21:40:53 CET 2007

List,

I'd like to make use of the archived logs, but it seems that Nagios is
looking for logs with different names than the filenames the logrotate
script (shipped with the Debian nagios2-common package) is giving them.
For example, my nagios.cfg is configured to have the archives rotated
daily in /var/log/nagios2:

log_rotation_method=d
log_archive_path=/var/log/nagios2

The logrotate script is pretty straightforward:

/var/log/nagios2/nagios.log {
        daily
        missingok
        rotate 10
        compress
        delaycompress
        notifempty
        postrotate
                /etc/init.d/nagios2 reload
        endscript
}

However, the history.cgi is looking for log files in a different
format.  Here's the error I see from the web interface:

Error: Cannot open log file '/var/log/nagios2/nagios-03-15-2007-00.log'
for reading!

I've scoured the configs looking for some filename convention settings,
but haven't come up with anything fruitful.  Can anyone point me to my
(probably obvious) oversight?  Thanks in advance...

Ryan