SNMP autodiscovery / Puppet Naginator question

Roger Roger at NagiosWiki.com
Wed Nov 21 00:56:57 CET 2007

I'm looking for ways to autocreate Nagios config files, using Puppet's
Naginator, but before I can do that, I need to clear up an
autodiscovery problem I have. I'm hoping someone here on the list has
done something like that before.

I would like to query a network device (e.g. Cisco) and get all its
routes (as if I typed in something like "show ip route"). Is SNMP
"standardized" to the point where I can send one query to any network
device and have it return to me the route statements, regardless of
the make, model, or vendor of my networking device?

If anyone could point me in the right direction of what I should be
looking for, I would be eternally grateful!