Nagios Master/Slaves Solution...

Chris Haulmark chris at sigd.net
Tue Nov 27 17:42:05 CET 2007

Hello Bryan:

<6FC9F9894A9F8C49A722CF9F2132FC220F730CB6 at ms05.mailstreet2003.net

> > Hello,
> >

> > Have anyone got any Nagios Master/Slaves solutions that are
currently
> > being used in production?
> >

> > The reason that I am asking is because I would like to use Nagios to
> > monitor several hosts/services at
> >
> > multiple locations.  I have at least 4 facilities that I would like
> > assign a Slave per facility while the
> >
> > Master would stay at the office.
> >

> > Each Slave would be monitoring the hosts and services only within
the
> > facility that it has been assigned.
> >
> > Firewalls and routings will be in place to prevent the Slaves from
> > interacting with each other.  Only
> >
> > the Master will be accessible from each of those Slaves.
> >

> > I have experimented with using NSCA to send passive checks over to
> the
> > Master from each of the Slaves.
> >
> > It seems to be the solution only if I am not concerned about the
> Master
> > having a failure or if the route
> >
> > between the slaves to the Master has been interrupted.  I have
> > considered giving a Slave the ability to self-
> >
> > promote if this certain Slave detects that Master has became
> > unavailable.  That would also include having
> >
> > to make modifications to the send_nsca IP Address on those other
> Slaves.
> > That includes the firewall and
> >
> > routing adjustments being required.
> >

> > I have looked at DNX but I am thinking that it is really designed to
> > cross check the hosts/services from each
> >
> > of those "Nodes" to distribute the work loads.  I do not want the
> Slaves
> > to overlap each other's territory
> >
> > unless a certain Slave have been self-promoted.
> >

> > Anyone have suggestions on a working solution or can point me to
some
> > reading documentations of how
> >
> > someone have set up a HA Nagios Master/Slaves solution?
> >

> I wrote up some internal docs for myself over a year ago now and don't
> mind sharing them:
>
> http://www.nbcs.rutgers.edu/~brylon/nagios2/
>
> Note: I don't know if this is quite what you are looking for, but
> figured I'd share and let you decide if it helps. I would also be
> interested in other docs anyone may have with respect to distributed
> monitoring and failover redundancy.

This is nice of you to share your documentations.  However, this is not
really what I am looking for.

I am not really interested in proof of concepts.  Those documentations
that would show the actual setups that are in use would be useful for me
to start off with.

I saw that cfengine is mentioned for management of the Nagios
configuration
files across the servers. It seemed interesting.  Using SCP with keys
was
part of my original plan.  This may change or it would not.

Any other information about how a failover can occur for a slave when
the
master goes down?

Chris