should I use nagios 2.9 or 3.0b5??

tom.welsh at bt.com tom.welsh at bt.com
Tue Oct 16 11:03:09 CEST 2007

Hi Pablo,

In my humble opinion I would suggest not to use beta software in a production environment. As you stated in your mail you used 2.9 and it was great. Id suggest still using it until Nagios 3 is stable. There is quite a lot of chatter on the mailing list about nagios 3 and problems with notifications etc. The last thing you want to do is setup Nagios in a new company and for it to go wrong. My Plan would be about 3 steps

1. Install Nagios 2.9 stable release and get it Monitoring and alerting(leave to run for 3-6 months)

2. Install Nagios 3.0 on test bed system and get it monitoring your systems. Turn off alerting to anyone important but have it mail you with alerts. This will ensure you have duplicate alerts from both systems and they should be almost in sync.

3. Migrate your config from Nagios 2.x to Nagios 3 over a period off time, switching on Alerting as you go.