"notification_interval" from the "serviceescalation" is ignored?

Richard Mohr rfmohr at osc.edu
Tue Sep 4 18:08:28 CEST 2007

(Ilya: I have added the nagios-users mailing list back into the CC list.
Always make sure to include the mailing list so that others can follow
the discussion and possibly learn from it.)

On Sat, 2007-09-01 at 09:35 +0200, zucker4 at web.de wrote:

> > On Fri, 2007-08-31 at 09:56 +0200, Ilya Ruprecht wrote:
> >
> > > Ok, i understand. But netherless, something is wrong -
> > > look at my posting:
> > >
> > > the "notification_interval" of SSH is set to 60, but i became
> > > ALL notifications in 10 minute interval.
> >
> > In your original post, you said you defined this escalation:
> >
> > define serviceescalation{
> >         hostgroup_name          vpn-server
> >         service_description     SSH
> >         first_notification      1
> >         last_notification       5
> >         notification_interval   3
> >         contact_groups          linux-admins
> >         }
> >
> > That escalation takes effect on the first notification, and thus
> > notification_interval gets changed to "3".  With the two escalations you
> > defined, the "notification_interval  60" line from your service
> > definition never takes effect.
>
> Exactly! That's what i mean! Neither the notification_interval from the service-definition, nor
> the notification_interval from the serviceescalation-definition was considered.

Yes, they are both considered.  It's just that the notification_interval
from your escalation overrides the value from the service definition.

> But where then the 10-minutes interval came from? from the "check_interval" from service-definition?

Yes.  That is what happens when you have a check_interval that is
greater than the notification_interval.  A notification_interval of "3"
does not guarantee that notifications will be sent every 3 minutes.  It
only guarantees that consecutive notifications will be 3 or more minutes
apart.  If the check_interval is 10, then you will get notifications
every 10 minutes.

--
Rick Mohr
Systems Developer