first_notification_delay and host escalations in nagios 3.0

Jesse Caldwell Jesse.Caldwell at Colorado.EDU
Thu Apr 3 22:33:32 CEST 2008

Hi List,

I'm having two problems with Nagios 3.0. The first is with
first_notification_delay. Here's my host definition:

define host {
	active_checks_enabled		1
	check_command			check_host_alive
	check_freshness			0
	check_period			24x7
	contact_groups			trouble_queue_24x7
	event_handler_enabled		0
	first_notification_delay	8
	flap_detection_enabled		0
	host_name			foo
	hostgroups			freebsd_servers, unix_servers
	max_check_attempts		3
	notification_interval		8
	notification_options		d,r
	notification_period		24x7
	notifications_enabled		1
	parents				foo-router
	passive_checks_enabled		0
	process_perf_data		0
	register			0
	retain_nonstatus_information	0
	retain_status_information	1
}

Here is the log:

[1207252682] HOST ALERT: foo;DOWN;SOFT;1;CRITICAL - foo: rta nan, lost 100%
[1207252752] HOST ALERT: foo;DOWN;SOFT;2;CRITICAL - foo: rta nan, lost 100%
[1207252822] HOST ALERT: foo;DOWN;HARD;3;CRITICAL - foo: rta nan, lost 100%
[1207252852] HOST NOTIFICATION: trouble_queue_24x7;foo;DOWN;host_notify_by_email;CRITICAL - foo: rta nan, lost 100%

If it decides that foo is down at 14:00:22, why does the notification
go out 30 seconds later? Am I misunderstanding something really
basic about first_notification_delay?

My second problem is with host escalations. If I define my host
escalation with a contact group:

define hostescalation {
	contact_groups		on_call_pager
	escalation_options	d,r
	escalation_period	weekdays_7am_to_6pm
	first_notification	2
	hostgroup_name		unix_servers
	last_notification	0
	notification_interval	0
}

That works as expected. If I use contacts instead of contact_groups,
escalations go to the contact specified /as well as/ the original
contact_group for the host. So, using the host definition and host
escalation above, if I use contacts, the escalation will go to
trouble_queue_24x7 and on_call_pager. If I use contact_groups, the
escalation will only go to on_call_pager. Is this expected behavior?
I assumed nagios would discard any previously defined contacts
and/or contact_groups in favor of what the host escalation specifies.

Jesse