ideas on virtualization for traveling Nagios lab?

Roger Roger at NagiosWiki.com
Sun Feb 24 17:26:15 CET 2008

Not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but I'm hoping that you guys
might be able to answer this as you tend to know Nagios' load in a training
sort of environment (20 virtual servers @ less than about 50 checks per box)
under various types of hardware.

I'm building a sort of traveling training server that will run as many
virtual Nagios servers as possible (for various LUGs in my area), and I'm
wondering what the lightest, most efficient virtualization solution given
the small load of a training sort of environment. Right now, I'm just using
VMware Server (the free version) on CentOS, and it works great.  I connect
via the VMWare console and go.

The "problem" with this is that (a) I've got a really cool VMware machine at
work, (b) I can't always take this cool machine with me (well, I could, but
that might be more trouble than it's worth), and (c) I might need to slam
out something on someone else's (crappy?) hardware on the fly. Because of
these three reasons, I'm willing to invest some time into finding something
"better" (quick, light, etc) that might support way more virtual servers
than what VMware might support.

I'm looking in the direction of OpenVZ, and maybe someone here can tell me
if it worked for them when they put Nagios on the guest OS (not sure why it
wouldn't, but thought I'd check on the list and see if anyone had any
feedback).